Maersk Oil entered Angola in 2005 and has since made the Chissonga discovery, declared commercial in 2011 and the Caporolo and Cubal discoveries on the same block. It also made the Azul discovery, which generated world-wide interest as it was the first positive well in the Angolan deepwater presalt that mirrors the prolific offshore basins of Brazil.
Maersk Oil holds a 65% interest in the deepwater Block 16 in 2005 covering some 4,900 km2 and with water depths up to 1,500 metres, with partners Odebrecht (15%) and state oil company Sonangol P&P (20%).
The project is currently maturing the Chissonga project towards a final investment decision.
MAERSK OIL MILESTONES
2013: The Cubal discovery was made.
2012: Further discovery in Block 16 with the Caporolo-1 well.
2011: Discovery of Azul in Block 23.
2009: Discovery of Chissonga in Block 16.
2005: Maersk Oil bought an interest in Block 16 offshore Angola
MAERSK OIL ADDED VALUE
- Our use of advanced seismic technologies enabled the discovery of Chissonga in a block that had been extensively drilled by previous operators without success.
- 11 deepwater wells have been drilled offshore Angola since 2009.
DID YOU KNOW?
Maersk Oil has developed a social impact program ‘Acção Para Angola’ (Action for Angola) that aims to have a holistic and integrated approach to the implementation of social investments. Some investments so far include:
• An integrated schooling, food, water & sanitation programme in Benguela province, impacting over 2,000 people.
• A programme that focuses on providing business development training and assistance in formulating business plans for female entrepreneurs. The successful ones will be eligible for micro-loan.
• Capacity building around hygiene and sanitation jointly with the local government and local development organisation.
• Technical assistance provided to 20 local communities in managing and cultivating their agro-business, and with basic health assistance.
• Access to safe water in Malanje by drilling water wells.
Link to Angola Sustainability report